Power to Arrest; Weapons of Mass Destruction and Terrorism Awareness (Guard Card)
8-Hours Pre-assignment Guard Card Training
This course supports mobile devices.
This 8-hours program is completely online. All lecture, knowledge checks and final examinations are completed online, at the student's pace. When the student takes a break and exits the program, the system remembers the position and returns the student to the location where he or she left off.
Part 1 familiarizes and instructs the student on the training topics delineated by Business and Professions Code section 7583.7, legal aspects, techniques, liability, and company requirements relating to the arrest of an individual.
This section must be completed before the guard is assigned to duty.
Part 1 is comprised of two (2) lessons.
Online Course Completion
- Certificates and forms packet:
- "Application for Security Guard or Patrolperson"
- "Request for Live Scan Service" forms.
- Certificate of Completion, Part 1.
- Emailed after successful completion of Part 1 course (Lessons 1 and 2).
- Emailed 2 business days (Monday - Friday) after successful course completion. Weekends and holidays are not business days.
Lesson 1, Power to Arrest
- Understand the training topics delineated in the Business and Professions Code section 7583.7, including and without limitation
- Legal aspects
- Company requirements
- Define arrest
- Understand the implications of an arrest relating the subject, the guard and the company.
- Understand escalation and de-escalation techniques in the use of force.
- Understand the use of restraint techniques and their implications.
- Understand trespass laws and the implications of enforcement.
- Complete the Power to Arrest Test with a 100% score in accordance with the Manual's Administering Instructions.
Lesson 2, Weapons of Mass Destruction and Terrorism Awareness
This module familiarizes and instructs the student on the subject matter and observation skills required to identify and report precursor activities to a terrorist event, react appropriately, report the occurrence of a terrorist event, and remain safe while helping control the scene after a terrorist event. The training utilizes the Department of Consumer Affairs' Weapons of Mass Destruction & Terrorism Awareness for Security Professionals course consisting of lectures, videos and Student Workbook.
- Understand the role of a Security Officer in preventing an incident
- Understand the nature of terrorism.
- Understand weapons of mass destruction.
- Be able to coordinate critical information.
- Complete the Weapons of Mass Destruction and Terrorism Awareness Test with a 100% score in accordance with the Manual's Administering Instructions.